Join our team!
East of Eden is a six-acre specialty cut flower farm nestled on the shores of Merrymeeting Bay in Bowdoinham, Maine. We cultivate just under two acres of annuals and perennial crops for wholesale and retail outlets including: local floral designers, natural food stores, a weekly farmers market and our 65+ member flower CSA. Seasonal floral design is also a significant portion of our business - we exclusively use local flowers and foliage in our design work, almost all of which is grown on the farm, and end up working with around 40 couples each season.
As our farm continues to grow, we're looking for crew members to join our our farm team. Our ideal candidates are folks who want to learn about cut flowers and sustainable farming practices but aren't afraid to get their hands dirty! We want to bring the highest-quality flowers to market and expect our team to take pride in our work, take the work seriously and work efficiently.
Our ideal flower farm crew member demonstrates:
- A desire to learn about flowers and farming: We love what we do so our hope is that employees come excited to learn about flower farming, sustainable growing practices, and a host of other skills. We want people who are inspired by the work, interested in learning more and asking questions. It is important to us that our team members are observant and engaged.
- A strong work ethic: Farming is incredibly rewarding but it is also incredibly hard work. Farm work is physically demanding and so employees need to be comfortable working in standing or kneeling positions for extended periods of time. We want team members to know there will be amazing days on the farm but also some tough days when the work is tiring and monotonous. We have a reputation for always sending high-quality flowers to our accounts and expect our team to be attentive to detail.
- A willingness to work in all weather: Employees should pay attention to the weather forecast and come prepared for that day's conditions. We organize the day so that it is as comfortable as possible but we complete our work regardless of whether it is hot and sunny, cold and rainy, or somewhere in between. Employees need to bring appropriate clothing and outdoor gear.
- An ability to communicate directly, openly and respectfully: We expect there to be mistakes every season and lessons learned from those mistakes - that goes for owners and employees alike. If we do not give clear instructions, we encourage our team members to ask questions so that we can better explain the task at hand. Open, direct and respectful communication with all the members of our team is incredibly important. We appreciate and value the work of our team and couldn't continue to grow our farm without their work. Our commitment to quality and efficiency means that we will give feedback when necessary. We want
- An ability to work both collaboratively in groups and independently: There are many jobs where working in a group is the best way to accomplish a task. Plus we all enjoy working with other people - it's more fun! From time-to-time there will also be some jobs that are best done independently and team members should be able to self-motivate working alone to maintain an efficient pace.
- Punctuality: Every day begins with a morning meeting where we will give important details and instructions about the day ahead. It is imperative that our team members all arrive to the farm with enough time to be ready and at the meeting when the day's shift begins.
- All Flower Farm Crew Members must have a valid driver’s license and the ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
how to apply
After reading the descriptions of the positions available, if you are interested in applying please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name in the subject and the job title you're applying for (example: Julia Shipley: Full-Time Flower Crew).
Please include a letter of introduction that details why you would like to work on a flower farm as well as a current resume and two references. We will be in touch with qualified candidates to set up an interview.
Current job openings
Thanks for your interest! We are fully staffed for the 2018 season but please check back in the fall about 2019 openings. Thanks again!